Once an individual has been assessed by our clinicians, if it is determined that they present a clear and immediate danger to themselves or others, we will likely recommend inpatient stabilization services on one of our specialized units. For those individuals that do not present an immediate danger, we will refer them to our outpatient building for further assessment of the most appropriate level of care including one-to-one therapy, group therapy, intensive outpatient treatment, and partial hospitalization.
However, not all patients are appropriate for our hospital to treat. There are several medical disqualifiers for hospitalization at Streamwood Behavioral Healthcare System.
An individual being considered for admission to Streamwood Behavioral Healthcare System will be assessed for the need for admission and the capacity to benefit from the hospital’s programs by either the attending psychiatrist, or, if the patient has no psychiatrist on staff, the facility designated clinical evaluator on duty at the time the patient is admitted. In all cases, assistance is available from the Chief Medical Officer, Chief Nursing Officer and Medical Director of unit. If a patient is deemed ineligible by service criteria, yet demonstrates a need for resources other than Streamwood Behavioral Healthcare System can provide, the Admissions Coordinator, with the assistance of system-employed psychologists and social workers, will work to refer those persons to agencies better able to meet their needs.
(Quoted from CNO Admission/Discharge Criterion: V Medical Condition Criteria)
Medical Screening Process
- All patients being transferred from a medical facility or extended care facility (nursing home, emergency room, hospital), must be accompanied by a written and signed transfer form by a medical physician or registered nurse, stating that the patient to be admitted is medically stable and fulfills the hospital’s criteria for admission. Physical exam and lab result copies are appreciated.
- Patients who are admitted from home, doctor’s office, or places other than medical and extended care facilities are the responsibility of the attending psychiatrist to provisionally clear the patient medically and comply with the admission criteria set by Streamwood Behavioral Healthcare System.
- All patients will be screened on admission and will be accepted only if they meet the admission criteria. If the hospital screen proves noncompliance with the admission criteria, the patient will be returned to the facility immediately.
- Hospital screening process included assessment by the nursing supervisor or CMO at time of admission and up to 24 hours when history and physical are completed.
Eligible Admission Criteria
Streamwood Behavioral Healthcare System will only accept patients who prove medically stable.
- Medical problems must be under control and patient must be on maintenance therapy.
- Are able to ambulate without assistance (see Ineligibility Criteria).
- Infections such as H1N1, MDRO, ect. Require medical clearance.
Ineligible Admission Criteria
- Uncontrolled: Hypertension; Diabetes
- Cardiovascular disorders requiring monitoring.
- Conditions requiring intravenous medications, or oxygen
- Renal Dialysis Impending DTs in patients in withdrawal with histories of DTs or seizures.
- Patients with cancer in current, procedurally complicated treatment.
- Active and contagious Tuberculosis
- Acutely symptomatic or complicated AIDS
- Overdoes within the last 48-hours with drug levels in toxic range or rising levels
- Acute and extensive second or third degree burns.
- Acute chemical injury.
- Persistent diarrhea or vomiting or uncontrolled incontinence
- Contagious / Communicable Disease as spelled out in the Infection Control Manual
- Pregnant Patients
- Continuous feeding tubes
- Primary Chemical Dependency Treatment
a. Medical Detoxification
b. Ongoing methadone / suboxone Management
c. Alcohol 80 eq/L
d. Active Delirium Termers.
- Wounds > Stage II
- All Drains / Invasive Tubing / Hickman Lines / Port-a-cath for medications
- Patients who require total Care
- Other: As determined by inpatient services